The Power of Perspectives

The Canadian Bar Association

Kim Covert

CBA influence

Playing our cards right: Improving the PR experience

By Kim Covert June 26, 2018 26 June 2018


In a perfect world, an immigrant gets permanent resident status, receives the appropriate paperwork in a timely manner, and a new life in the new country – travel, school, employment – goes on as normal.

And about 80 per cent of the time in Canada this is the case – applications for new permanent resident cards are processed in about two months, and renewals take about four months. But the other 20 per cent of the time, the CBA’s Immigration Law Section says, all bets are off – lawyers have had cases where it’s taken as much as 12 months to get a PR card, presenting difficulties “ranging from inconvenience to emotional and financial hardship for the applicant, their family members and their employers.”

Read More
CBA influence

Past time to create a National Commissioner for Children and Youth

By Kim Covert June 22, 2018 22 June 2018


Canada is a great country, full of promise for this and future generations. What it lacks is an office to ensure that promise is kept, despite international treaty obligations that confer on it the responsibility to create one.

When Canada ratified the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child in 1991, among other things it accepted the obligation to establish the office of a National Commissioner for Children and Youth. Six years ago, in its Concluding Observations on Canada’s Third and Fourth Reports on the CRC, the UN Committee on the Rights of the Child once again urged Canada to establish such an office.

Read More
CBA influence

What the IRB needs: Transparent appointments, adequate training

By Kim Covert June 20, 2018 20 June 2018


The Immigration and Refugee Board is Canada’s largest federal administrative tribunal, and has an important role in the Canadian immigration law landscape.

As such, it’s imperative that IRB members be appointed through a transparent process and trained properly for the roles they have to play, says the CBA’s Immigration Law Section in its contribution to the Citizenship and Immigration Committee’s study of the IRB’s appointment, training and complaints process.

The CBA has called for transparent, accountable and impartial federal tribunals for decades, and recent problems have highlighted the need for improvements, the Section writes, with particular emphasis on enhancing transparency throughout the IRB process.

Read More
CBA influence

A shorter deadline won’t make tax reports more accurate

By Kim Covert June 13, 2018 13 June 2018


Taxpayers with foreign affiliates currently have 15 months after the end of their taxation year to file information returns to show their compliance with Canadian taxation of foreign-based income. In the 2018 budget, the federal government announced its intention to shorten that filing deadline to six months beginning in 2019, to bring it in line with the corporate income tax return deadline.

In a submission to the Department of Finance, the Joint Committee on Taxation of the Canadian Bar Association and Chartered Professional Accountants of Canada lays out its argument against this proposed move.

Read More
CBA influence

Abuse of dominance guidelines need work

By Kim Covert June 4, 2018 4 June 2018


It’s not always easy to distinguish aggressive-but-pro-competitive business practices from those that are anti-competitive. That’s why the CBA’s Competition Law Section welcomes the Competition Bureau’s draft Abuse of Dominance Enforcement Guidelines as an aid to decision-making in the business community.

That said, the Section says the guidelines could be improved to be more helpful.

“The guidelines sometimes take an inconsistent or expansive view of existing Canadian abuse of dominance jurisprudence,” the Section says.

Read More